Monday, March 15, 2010

Welcome

I've been gluten free for about 1 year now- it has been the "healthiest" year of my life. No more tummy troubles, anemia, depression, etc! But I have noticed from time to time gluten seeps into my food/drink without my knowledge and I really feel those side effects!!! One common factor in these episodes was WINE. I have read over and over again from trusted celiac/gluten free sites that "all wines, including port wines and sherry, are safe for celiacs." Thank god for forums! Because I have also read things like:
"Flour paste is used only to seal oak barrels; if a wine is un-oaked, there is no flour paste involved. Also, this practice varies by region. From what I've discovered, it can be quite common in aged French wines, but less common in Spanish wines and American wines. Some vineyards use new barrels and do not need such a paste, some vineyards used older barrels which have previously used the paste, or old barrels that are cracked and require such a paste." and "some wines are treated with hydrolyzed wheat gluten as part of the fining process"
So, basically, I have learned 1. you can't believe everything you read 2. Wine is NOT always Gluten Free.
I have started contacting wineries and researching wine to find gluten free options. When I was doing this research I found it very difficult to find good, reliable Wine Lists online. So, here we are. I have started this blog to help my fellow gluten intolerant/celiacs. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment